The 50 Peso Challenge

IMG_20180102_195703_469

There was one segment of Jessica Soho last year that I diligently followed out of all the viral things they've shown there: the 50 Peso Challenge. The premise is every time you get a 50 peso bill, you are not allowed to spend it. The girl on the video was for 3 months already accumulated 40k worth of bills. In comparison, I only got half of her amount for almost a year of saving. This is because unlike her, I got all of my 50s organically. I never resorted to exchange my 1000 peso bill to 50s for the sake of it. All the bills I got were actual change when I spend. Based on the interviews she goes out of her way getting the 50 peso bills she could put in her piggy bank. It only translates to me how she's a pathological spender who suddenly tightened her belt.


It was extremely hard at first. The rest of the year was an arduous feat of calming myself when I get all 50s as change. There was even a time when the meal was 150, so I added water just to get the bill total 170PHP . I thought I beat the system until I was handed my change from my 500 bill-- 300 peso worth of 50s! I remembered screaming internally at my situation.


The entire duration I admit to have spent just one bill of all that I've collected and that is because I forgot it at that particular moment which I only realized later. Other than that I have to always hide my 50s in fear the cashier sees my wallet and force me to use that instead.


20180102_202642

Had to use paper to hold all of the bills because one of the rubber bands suddenly snapped


I started around April and was able to raise 21, 350 Pesos. That's a combination of 50 peso bills and 200 peso bills (just 11 pcs). This is not bad considering that it felt like "free money" because the last few months of doing this I barely bat an eyelash when I get them as change anymore. Actually I am now shocked when I see people pay with it!


On the last day (Dec 31 2017) I've already removed them from my jar and compiled them in one big bundle. I was able to deposit it on a bank account that I rarely use, so it's also a good way to prevent it from going dormant.


I truly enjoyed this challenge that I have already started last Jan 1. So far I have already raised almost 1000 pesos in total because I got 3 200 peso bills (I also collect them since I rarely see those anyway) and January isn't over yet. I also think I've inspired the people around me to do the same. Even my boss started collecting too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.