Davao 2017 (Part 1)

This will be the first time my sisters and I are left on our own and the furthest we've been in the country. The booking was unplanned (had too many trips as of late) but the fares are hard to resist. But a few days before the trip, reality set in that I won't be with my research prodigy boyfriend to aid me and I was left alone to find out how to go to whichever we would go. I tried asking an officemate who is a Dabawenya if she might know people and true enough she does. Sadly though the cheapest package was 1k/head and is expensive for the itinerary itself. Looking back now, 3 out of 5 of those places mentioned were walkable from our hotel except for Jack's Ridge!


20170225_083037_HDR


If you squint hard enough you can see Mt. Apo up ahead!


We arrived early in Davao, around 8AM. It was refreshing that the airport is not crowded by so many hawkers like in Manila. We head straight to our hotel to check in via Grab (yay! as of writing they should be able to accept credit cards) so we can follow our only schedule for the day.


+ Balay (Bahay) ni Tuding +


A recommend from my sister's officemate, we didn't look for anywhere else at all. One of the things I liked about the place is that it's right at the middle of the city and how cheap it is in my standards. 5800PHP for 3D/2N for 3 people (actually it can be four). It also wasn't hard for our driver to look for.


20170225_13581820170225_13582620170225_13584320170225_140107

What might turn off most people though is that the lobby is at the 2nd floor. Yes, you really must haul your luggage up the stairs (and to the rooms as well). But other than that our stay has been really pleasant. The room had a queen sized bed, two singles, a large bath with heater, utensils, microwave and a potable water faucet. It was also spacious! The aircon works, no water issue, bed is perfect for the back. They have tons of outlets too! Their people are also very friendly. Breakfast is served 7AM which consists of toasted bread, guyabano and papaya-ginger jams, butter, a glass of homemade yogurt, juice and coffee. You may also have a rice breakfast if you wish for a different fee. Lastly, they allow you to leave your things before you check-in--which we did, to go to the non-negotiable spot I wouldn't dare go to Davao and not going: Philippine Eagle Center.


+ Philippine Eagle Center (PEC) +


wp-image-1057296458jpg.jpgThat awesome feature in Google Photos


Our instruction was to go to Bankerohan market and get a bus from there (we paid 34PHP. How odd right? How can you divide that to 3?). We were able to get a jeep right in front of our inn and repeatedly mentioned to the driver to tell us if it's already the market. It looks like he never heard me when he gave us a surprised face when we asked for the nth time if we are already at Bankerohan, and we were already all along.


When we got off, the first girl we asked where the buses are told us we're on a different part of the city and go back while the officer told us to walk forwards. We decided to follow the officer but after a while we realize it is not as near as he said. But it seems that we didn't need to go to the terminal anyway because they pass by on the same street we are on!


The bus looked old but people are getting in (and it was already hot, it's already 9am) so we went there anyway. The sign was Calinan (120PHP) and I told the bus conductor lady that we are going to see the eagles. Like most of what I read so far, they usually tell you to get off at Malagos and either get a tricycle or a habal habal going up. After experiencing cold weather on my skin at the open air bus we were dropped off at the terminal where the tricycles are waiting for customers. It was surprising how the driver was able to get us 6 (there were 3 other passengers) especially that my sisters and I are heavy and the road going there is inclined.


As soon as we got off we already shelled out 9PHP (is this right?) just to get in the watershed and another 450PHP entrance to the actual eagle sanctuary. There were not a lot of people (thank goodness).


Before you enter you need to do two things: sanitize your hand and dip your shoes on the non existing water at the entrance. I have no idea how the rest of our stuff gets in fine but it may be possible that only the dangerous bacteria harmful to the birds rest on the hands.


I read on a different blog how un-majestic the creatures where when he saw them. That they all looked tired and lifeless. I was ready to be disappointed but you know what? I wasn't. The first time I laid eyes on the Philippine Eagle, I was stunned at how huge they are. LIKE REALLY. I think our fake corgi dog is even smaller compared to our National Treasure. Obviously I don't expect it's "mane" to show since it's not agitated (seriously, dude!) but it's regal just the same. I was even giddy when he made that movement with his neck, like as if it's focusing on something. I wish they have feeding time schedules so we can watch!


IMG_20170228_191254_609

There were more birds and other eagles too. There was one in particular that was really loud we kept on laughing at the sound it makes. We were not sure why it is making it but the rest of the lot don't mind.


Other than the souvenir shops, it is surprising that there are no restaurants in the area. There is a small canteen but it almost had nothing to sell. We settled on eating probably one of the best turons I ever tasted (20PHP for 3pcs): it has langka, fried and dipped in honey then rolled with sesame seeds. It was freshly cooked too!


20170225_113227


There were no tricycles for us to get us back to town, and all the taxis are already booked with other visitors. We decided to walk, even just up to the main road where we could hopefully get tricycles. We were almost near said road and I was getting worried at the group of dogs near it. Two habal-habals was to our rescue when they offered to bring us to town for 20PHP/head. They dropped us off at the L300s that would take us back to the city but we thought we would like to get us some food first. We saw a Jollibee branch when we first got up and we almost reached it when we decided to eat at a karinderya instead.


I felt cheated when my Kare-Kare was handed to me, it was a single lonely meat with almost no sauce and no alamang! I forgot what my sisters got but it was quite disappointing too. What surprised me though is the price of what we ordered: 3 rice, 1 veg (ginataang langka) 1 order of lumpia and 3 meats: 106PHP. OK fine. I'm not complaining now.


20170225_120040


It was a long walk from the L300 to where we ate so when I spotted a bus terminal nearer to us, I told them we check it out. True enough, signboards say Davao City! It was even an airconditioned bus that looks fairly new. 150PHP was our fare.


When we were at the city, I tried to follow via maps where the bus is taking us. There was at one point where we could already alight (I was expecting them to do a right turn) but they went further and further than necessary. When we got to the same road (we were the last) I finally took the call and had us be dropped off there. We then walked back to the hotel (probably 3 blocks away), in time for our check in and a quick nap.


*Unless stated, prices are the total for 3 people

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.