Book Reaction: Before I Fall (Lauren Oliver)

bookcover_home_before_i_fall


I am for the most part, a proud member of #TitasOfManila*. So when I started reading this I can't help but be disgusted over the acts of (the main character who is also the narrator) Sam and her friends. All those drinking, perverted mouths and shallow problems kept on piling on top of each other it's too hard to read. My officemate who always recommends me books couldn't stand it and gave up early on so she was surprised to learn I was still on it. She'd probably be more if I told her I've just finished it today.


Random things to mention:

  1. Reading it now bothers me to even read Mary J Blige and other 90s early 2000s artists mentioned. But knowing now that the book is almost 8 years old, I realize the importance of keeping the era on which you are writing not as specific as possible.

  2. I stayed for Kent McFuller. Come to think of it, he's the poster boy for the guy who eternally loves the girl lead no matter what. I kind of hate that kind of character but for me he was painted to be the boy next door who will always be your hero no matter what and it fit snugly over Sam who never liked LIKED him. He could be cheesy but it has the effect on me that stays true in real life. You'd never go wrong loving the good boys.

  3. Speaking of boys it took almost half of the book for Sam to realize his boyfriend Rob is only with her just to get laid. Seriously, some girls can really be that dumb.

  4. There are so many terms teens use I've never heard in my life I can't even remember them anymore.


Things to Know:

Who should read this?

If you have teenage daughters and who happens to not get bored to read, then yes. If you're an adult like me, you need to have the patience to even finish a chapter. You'd roll your eyes over themes like: underage drinking, smoking weed, teen sex, teen angst amongst others.


Why should I read this?


I see no big reason why. I'm always a fan of time loops so at least there's a part in there that I really am interested in.  Although I wouldn't say I 100% enjoy it, but I did finish it after all. On a scale of how cheated you are from 0 to Twilight, this is not even in the middle. Let's just say thankfully I never got bored.


Happy Endings?


You know when you've read something and you can't believe it actually happened (like in Me Before You Lou was implied to be raped) ? I chose to not believe the last pages of it up to the epilogue. I chose to believe that Sam, after everything would have to live another day and more, if it only gives me peace for the sake of Kent's happiness. It's rare to root for the protagonist ONLY BECAUSE of the supporting character but that's how it felt.


Will I read another book of Oliver?

Probably. But hopefully for another theme.

Was the movie close to the book?


I have yet to watch the adaptation. Will update this once I do


*If you happen to be a foreigner and do not know what that is, it's a term women of age in the Philippines who acts like an Aunt. You can google for a much extensive explanation if you wish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.