MMFF 2016

15823294_1800879323533419_7579234254251571314_n


 

Hooray!

Finally, movies that are interesting to see. No more slapsticks, no more Hollywood ripoffs, no more rehashed old school hardcore drama with the same plot over and over again and best of all no more choosing over which is less cheesy. Yes. Finally. Hope they've done it sooner. I can still recall the very first movie my bf and I watched when we first dated. It was Mano Po and Shake Rattle and Roll (as to what iterations I have no idea now, both franchises are still beaten to death). We had no choice then since unfortunately, my birthday is right smack at the Hollywood break of cinemas. And although we didn't have to bear through that this year, my sisters and I gave it a go once we're available:


Die Beautiful

I went out of the cinema a bit torn on what to feel. I remembered laughing at a lot of the dialogues between Tricia and Barbs but unfortunately the scene that still haunts me to this day is the scene where Tricia (Paolo Ballesteros) is at his lowest. I am still trying to get it out of my head and dwelling on it too much is not our protagonist would want. After all he wanted to highlight his best life through his only request once he dies: fantastic makeup transformations. This is also the first time I agree that the best friend (Barbs) is effective because he worked like a true person would react, not like what most movies that portray in which the best friend is always too good for their role they might as well be the lead. I also liked that the story really did revolve around our main character, regardless if the rest of the characters did not have their own "redeeming" moments in the end.


Saving Sally

Watching this needs a bit of adjustment where Filipinos actually speak English on a full length movie. It is cute, charming and very light. A good time to take your teenage girls for relationship lessons, and to inspire your creative kids. I did have my "artistic" phase back in college and would have enjoyed this much more when I watched it back then. If anything, it is a simple plot set on a background that is a feast for the eyes by drawing your attention at the scenery that are usually funny and recognizable especially to those who follow the local comic scene.


Seklusyon

Plastering Erik Matti on the poster heightened my interest on this movie inspite of being a scaredy cat. This is definitely not your typical Pinoy horror film although I doubt that you would be terrified as much. What you would get is the lack of cheap prosthetics and CGI just for the sake of having some, and a plot that is leagues ahead of your typical Pinoy horror flick.


Till now, I'm still at awe why we are still on a debate on whether it is a good move for MMFF or not. It is sad to have this conversation that indies are reflected as the gloomy side of the spectrum that only features poverty and gayness. Granted some of the entries does tackle this, but it just goes to show that these themes are seldom reflected on the mainstream ones that are often too much of a stretch. Till now said movies are stuck with the Cinderella plot. It's 2017, and face it or not, both are relevant in our time today.


And what about the argument of Christmas being a kid's month? This is probably the dumbest argument to say the least. You mean you're willing to shell out 275 pesos to watch ads (not too discreet even may I add), copycats of foreign films and bar type of comedy to your kids? There's a reason why the lines are long back then. It's because the entire family goes, all 10 of you and your children not even a year apart. In contrast to now, I see more groups of young adults, paying adults who you typically see in Hollywood premieres going. No, those kids didn't like those trashy films you make them watch year after year. They are just happy you take them to the cinema ONCE A YEAR. Don't you want to give them at least quality ones if that's the case? Stop it with the "this is our Christmas gift to them" bull. You know as well as I do that gifts entail receiving. I doubt you'd receive any. Let's not degrade our tastes further, shall we?


*Image not mine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.