T&J Weds: The First Month, the Pandemic and what else?


So.. we’re getting married! No, I didn’t get any proposal of any kind, we just talked about it and headed to look for churches one Saturday. We’re looking for somewhere in the north, and since I am not the Catholic, I don’t have much requests other than the ff:

1. Ample Parking
2. Decent interior
3. Accepts mixed marriages

I would love to present this as a per church thing but I think it’s best to present it by how it all happened because this spanned a few weeks.

+ It all started on January 11 + 

So first we went to The Immaculate Conception Cathedral of Cubao. It was huge and looks so clean. They were able to accommodate us at 1pm. Their price is around 30k++. One huge advantage of this church is that it is right in front the chancery that handles everything related to mixed marriages and foreign partners. What I didn’t like though is how they don’t have proper parking. Like your visitors would each have to find any spot possible around the church.

Our second stop is Basilica of the National Shrine of our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I have been hearing/reading about this church for a very long time when it comes to weddings and I can see why. It spans almost the same length as it’s dedicated parking lot! I mean you could do all the flashbacks you can as you walk down the aisle and meet your groom and weeping friends. And you know business is booming because of the places we visited that day theirs had been the most prepared to answer questions and the dates are almost impossible to book. I've given like more than 10 dates and was only able to get like one free, ON NOVEMBER.

But, it does look good! I loved that they have an enclosed parking, does not look cramped, AND IT'S QUIET. You can't hear much traffic when you're there. We pencil booked November just to reserve a date and that's done although I kept on thinking how expensive it would be (around 30k++)

Saint John the Baptist Church was closed. Has parking, right next to the highway but we both decided not to go in anymore. It just looks like it does not feature weddings.

Santuario del Sto. Cristo Parish was next. It looks gloomy from the inside, parking does exist, although Reagan says that it could be noisy since there are a lot of cars going back and forth on all sides of the church. Although at that time, I kind of liked the external structure, inside we can't appreciate as much because when we arrived there were no lights and both doors were closed. Their office had our original date OK but didn't bother to book it. However, this has got to be the cheapest booking if ever. You only need a down of 1k, and 10,000 for everything including basic flowers, etc.

Santuario de San Jose Parish is our final stop. I remembered it being much much more expensive but a huge hassle in going to. The streets surrounding it are brimming with cars. I mean seriously, no parking for that price?


+ The Chancery +

So basically we can't book fully because we don't know what requirements the Chancery of Cubao would require of us, especially that I am not a Catholic. I kept on calling the Chancery / emailing because there is just no feedback. We were given a week before we call it in that we're committed to booking. I was able to finally reach Sir Don and was able to negotiate to have our deadline extended until Jan 25. We even went to Mt. Carmel to make sure. I received an email from the chancery on the 27th, filled up the form and sent it as soon as I can. That entire week was a hassle! Was able to finally talk to Ms. Jovy, who is quite... something. I understand that their work is stressful but come on. Why does Carmel limit the extension time if we can't even be sure of the Chancery? It's 5k reservation with no refunds!

While that is happening we happened upon our first Bridal Fair of the year, a bit overwhelming. It was a bust since we have no idea what to there. We did, however grabbed a few flyers.

Also we've also found a venue on the 18th. It's walking distance with Carmel and also right next to a hotel (Madison 101). Reagan and I were both pleased especially of the Pavillion. The rate we were presented was 235,000 for 150pax with Richgold. Pencil booking is just 3 days but the girl who talked with us made sure to prioritize us to get the Pavillion. Oasis have 3 event venues and are in the building as with the parking, their office and the bridal suites. Of all the venues we liked the Pavillion the most. It also has the worst case scenario option since it's the only one allowed to use the mini garden on the side where normally cocktails can be done but also the garden ceremony. On the day we've put our deposit we were able to watch one. Oasis is right by a road but the noise outside was drowned by the speakers. It was really nice, a good designer and photographer could definitely make it look good in person and in photos.

We were able to negotiate extension until the 25th because of the Chancery UNTIL.. time is up and the reply we're expecting is non existent. What's worse is they have only replied on Feb 1 late noon but with more questions! Although at this point, we're already OK because days ago we've done something!

On the 25th, we've went to Santuario del Sto. Cristo Parish to reserve the date because the Carmel situation is already dire. We were ready but we were refused because we have no requirements! Unlike the rest of the churches we've been to, they don't do pencil bookings and would only reserve with the proper papers. I already have my Certificate of Freedom to Marry (haven't brought it though) but Reagan still don't have his Baptismal and Confirmation Certificates. The next day Reagan was able to get his Baptismal and Tuesday morning for the Confirmation. Same day I got to the Santuario and booked the date! I was holding my breath when the administrator was rifling through her log book in fear that our date was already taken... and it's not! It's still ours! I paid the 1k deposit, presented her all three documents and was also booked for our interview by March. Yay! I was really too worried because as we've heard from other suppliers Tagaytay couples are hustling in finding for new locations because of the instability of the province due to Taal. I'm glad we never considered Tagaytay, imagine the logistics of EVERYTHING.


+ It's now Feb! +

We were supposed to look for rings on Feb 1 but both Reagan and I had something to do in the office. We missed a food tasting with Richgold and requested for CENOMAR and Birth Certificates from SM (much cheaper). Also was able to get a new set of cheques from BDO because we found out after attempting to pay our venue with my cheques that it's already out dated. Reagan had to pay in cash our first booking fee (20k) with Oasis. Atleast now that is done.

In between going to fairs (we missed one or two? can't remember now) due to schedules. The last one we attended to, it was already Feb 22 that time, was when we got to this small bridal fair at MOA. It was very exciting! Of all the fairs we've been this one has got to be the most successful. We were able to buy rings at A. Bernardo's, book a planner at Eventist Manila and  PaperThread for invitations. We got really good deals with everything! The rest we have to rely on our very bubbly wedding coordinator. Next day we just attended a Richgold tasting at Oasis Manila.  Our attendance there was just so we can try some of their food and deposit another payment to Oasis. We have also verified our intent to get their package with Richgold.  

Our first meeting with our coordinator (in between viber messages) happened at Megamall, Eat Together, Feb 28. We were able to talk about a few things we like, a few basics and what suppliers we still don't have. We have also discussed themes, colors, what we've paid, booked, etc. It was actually sudden because I would be leaving tomorrow for Japan! We'd resume plans once I'm back. Communication for the entire week that I was away was always via Viber. We've paid a few suppliers, selected some of them as well. I mean we ought to have the major ones, wedding gowns, flowers, audio-video.

+What happened to you March?+

So I came back March 8. Due to coming back from Japan, I decided to impose a self quarantine because I'm super worried I'm an asymptomatic carrier. Both our moms are already seniors, I certainly am not going to kill them. But even before 14 days were up a Luzon quarantine was imposed. This means I'm stuck in Mandaluyong and Reagan at Las Pinas. We were also supposed to meet March 14, in line with our first church meeting but a day before I got an SMS from them, cancelling it. At this moment most churches have already stopped doing services entirely so it's understandable, but still a bit saddening.

+April's here and I'm losing hope+ 

It's almost a month since the quarantine. Most shops are already closed, I'm stuck at home, haven't seen Reagan for a long time and everyday it feels like we might not have our wedding day on our set date. I do hope that when July comes and goes, and everything is officially postponed for an indefinite time,  our suppliers would be much much more lenient in delaying it until everything is over. It's unfortunate but I think it would be harder for us to set a date immediately without any certainty that it won't be postponed again.

+ May onwards +

We started to cancel our bookings. We've moved our venue and church for until next year and halted our payments with our other suppliers. The hardest was the hotel. Agoda and the hotel can't coordinate properly that I have no idea who I am supposed to deal with. In the end the refunds fell on Agoda's, WHO for the first time took a long time to fix. I booked multiple rooms and it took a long time to sort it out because the support is being difficult. One of them even told me that I should not have booked if I'm going to cancel! It hit a nerve because it's not as if I planned to have a pandemic happen right? That was so insensitive. In the end they've refunded everything but not after my last email on how poor the support was My complaint may have allowed the refund to happen. I'm just glad that was sorted out in the end.  











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.