T&J Travels #10: Japan 2018 (Part 7)

IMG_20180204_094731512

Today involves a lot of walking. Our original itinerary is fully packed with so many places and this is our attempt to finish as much from our list. We did try to start early today but we've still arrived at our first stop almost 10 AM already (Shin-Osaka to Arashiyama is more than an hour away).  Technically we are already late for everything.


+ Arashiyama Bamboo Grove +

IMG_1396

I do not know if all routes go to the bamboo grove but we only followed a tour group just so we could reach it. We thought we were already there seeing the thin bamboos around but after some 5 minute walk (with a few stops as selfies)  we finally arrived at the famous grove.

IMG_1400IMG_1407

We roamed for a while, even to places until the crowd thinned more. After the grove we've went for quick snacks crab sticks and dango. We also found a weird snack: yuba soup! It's layers of tofu skin and tofu soup (300JPY a cup). The warm soup is comforting in this airy Kyoto.


IMG_1455

Price: FREE; There is bike rental though in case you wanted to get ahead of everyone else.


 

+ Toei Kyoto Studio Park +

It is rare for an IT to include the Toei Studio park. But being raised on anime, I thought it would be a disgrace not to go.


IMG_1484.jpg

When we got in we are greeted by anime figures both old and new. There's also cute themed eating areas at the side. We spent sometime ogling at them until we've finally went out and so glad we did. It's like we've transported to an old Japan!


IMG_1495IMG_1514

Tip: Wait for the special surprise!


IMG_1535

Other than being a theme park, it's also a live studio for Toei so all are locations that could eventually be a set in any of their shows. Even the building we've been in looked like an old train station complete with a life sized train in front. There's Yoshiwara street (red light district), a body of water that could resemble a port or any location that needs water (with a special surprise every few minutes!!), a front of a temple, a village amongst others. We've also stumbled on a few actors who are currently shooting a scene and had to close off a certain area. We were told not to take photos though. Too bad I didn't know who the actors were.


There are also roaming samurais and geishas who you could take photos with but we were too shy to ask so I had just this stolen shot:


IMG_1503

While we were roaming we spotted an ongoing session of actors role playing with kids. It's unfortunate we couldn't understand what they were saying but hearing all the laughter makes me really envious.


IMG_1549

After enjoying what outside offers, we've went back to the main building and went upstairs to Hero Land where all the life sized statues of different Sentai are in display. Reagan grew up watching them (I myself could barely remember!) which made the attraction extra special to visit.


IMG_1550

IMG_1567

We left and had missed a proper meal. We got some onigiri at the nearest Mini Stop and had to walk in circles looking for the bus stop until we realized it was just in front of the park.


Price: 2200 JPY (each)

+ Kinkaku-ji +

We were lucky to have made it before the cut off time (5PM) and at the best time to view it as well. The temple lived up to it's name as being Golden, but seeing it illuminated with the last rays of the sunset gives it an extra glow.


IMG_1576

 

I also liked that there are not much people around too so we were able to get a lot of spots to take photos.


IMG_1584

The actual temple is off limits so you just have to admire it from a far. We've walked with the rest of the tourists around the temple. There's a gift shop and fortune telling boxes. I was curious in trying out one but as soon as I've decided to get one, they started to cover them as sign of being closed.

Price: 400 JPY

+ Kyoto Tower +

 

IMG_1592-01.jpg

 

When we got off of the bus, we have no idea where to look for the tower. Only until I glimpsed it on a reflective surface did we notice we only need to look up. We walked towards it, even made it up to inside but didn't went up. I don't know what have gotten into me, but best thought not to for the moment. Besides I wanted to go back to this building to try out the making of fake food and kimono wearing we saw in one of the floors.


Price: Can't remember since we didn't went up.

+ Fushimi Inari Taisha +

Just when I thought that we'd be coming home already, Reagan suggested we still go. I know that we don't need to hastily go there (being open for 24 hours) but I was worried of the time we would spend actually going there. So imagine my surprise when I found out that the train station is right next to the location itself! You just literally have to tap your train card and already see an orange Torii to welcome you.


While it's a good experience to see Fushimi at night, both my gadgets suck bad at low light photography so I have no decent photos and these are the best I could do:


IMG_1600IMG_1623

I've read from somewhere that it would take a long time to hike to and fro the thousands of the torii so obviously we couldn't do that for tonight. I am just happy to have seen it finally even on an odd time, but I suppose it's always easy to come back here someday.


Price: FREE

After a dinner of udon we eventually settled for the night. If memory serves my knees started to hurt with how cold Kyoto was.  I would love to go back to Kyoto but because of this I wouldn't wish to come back at late spring. That or I really need something to hide my knees from the cold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.