First Nappy Cake!

20160409_144540

I can't remember the first time I saw a diaper / nappy cake but I do remember the time when I found out that an office mate of mine actually does it. I always wanted to make one but there isn't a chance for me to do so. Obviously since it's already a part time job of hers in a way, there's no way others would request me for it. There were some parties I've been to but laziness always gets me so I always end up buying clothes or toys instead.


My moment came when I found out we're going to do a baby shower for a neighbor. I started to buy stuff I would need ASAP so that I have no reasons of putting it off for another party.


The baby shower we were planning is for a baby boy so obviously all pinks are out. I thought blue and green would do but I cannot find the stripey one so I got both colors. When I began to assemble it I realize the color sucked and it looked so plain and sad. Maybe I should have gotten a colorful fabric.


Initially I was only to do the banner for the name so I told them I might make buntings. But when I thought of buntings I imagined it to be in a nappy cake which made me decide to incorporate it there. I never thought it would be a cute touch for the somewhat bland creation.


The reactions were really positive even if I find it a bit unkempt. Well at least for a first time it's not that bad. The couple even wanted to save it somewhere instead of unraveling the thing (Awwwwwwww).


IMG_20160409_220255


Just like any craft this made me frustrated for a long time. At first everything was fine, me cutting the circles of the paper that's supposed to be the container of the diapers until I started wrapping it with the blue and green welcome baby wraps. The sizes was just too minimal it looked like a multi colored mango bravo cake (by Contis, the tall one) so I had to redo the top circle and adjust the bottom layer. I planned to buy more diapers so the levels would be more distinct but decided against it as that would mean I need more cover for both layers.


The bottom part I had to add a bib of the same color (I bought from the same brand) just to hide the gap that shows the diaper make shift case. Supposedly I wanted to add more materials on it but since there is not much space, I only bought 6 pairs of baby socks and a stuffed toy. I couldn't find a teddy bear small enough so I went with a giraffe instead. Much to my delight the socks I was able to get are animal related too, which made it more cohesive as a design. Here are the steps and materials I used for this project:


Materials:


Papers - I got those really colorful ones which are much sturdier than your average paper. It's not yet a board, but it's a bit thicker than a bond paper. It's the same material I used for the buntings there. You can use a cartolina but I'd rather use these so I don't need to deal with a long rolled paper.


Pins, scotch tape, masking tape - I used the pins to secure the designs; masking tape for the edge of the green layer below because their ends won't meet so I just taped it on the paper and covered with a bib; scotch tape for the paper.


Diapers / Welcome hoodies / socks / stuff toy


For the buntings - bbq stick, triangles, twinning rope, ink + pen


Directions




  1. Make yourself a container of two sizes (I used a bowl and a plate to make the circles). The sizes should be significantly different. I drawn the circle on two pcs of paper then taped the sides from strips of more paper about 2-3 inches. Your end result should look like a paper bowl with a flat base.

  2. Fill both of the container with diapers

  3. Envelope the entire thing with two sets of cloth you fancy. I think you can use cloth diapers, but then who would use that nowadays anyway?

  4. Add your decorations!


 

Honestly the hardest part to this is the cover up. You just need to be creative in hiding what needs to be hidden. I also discovered the pins are really effective in putting everything together.


Now that I was able to practice, I think I'm ready to make a new one! If only I can find someone to give it to...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.