Happy!




I am surprised that Netflix have taken Happy! under their wing. I heard about the graphic novel from the podcast Comic Book Noobs so I got interested on it. I heard it's violent and dark but with a cute and unusual side kick. It reminded me of Sin City so this is right up my alley.

Our anti hero is Nick Sax, a cop turned corrupt assassin who on one of his heart attacks was visited by an Imaginary Friend named Happy, an optimistic blue unicorn (complete with a pink horn!). Almost half of the series involved Happy trying his best to convince Sax to help him find his best friend that also happen to be Nick's kid, abducted by a delusional Santa. 

I was able to procure a copy of the graphic novel (got the last copy from Fullybooked!) the day I finished the series and found a lot of those episodes inspired most of the scenes. I could say they have improved on the story a lot, bringing in more stories on the characters involved. Even Mickey's mom have a lot of air time. The series have also made it possible to add more "color" (literally) and action to confrontational scenes. Even the most memorable one near the end when Nick was about to be tortured is nowhere to be found on the novel but I swear is an oddly fun addition. Oswalt is really great as the voice of Happy and Meloni is perfect for the role.  The small details make it fun, the fake housewives reality tv show, the deranged mind of Smoothie (Fischler) and the Jerry Springer bits. 

From the news I read that they're going to make a Season 2 which is not on the novel anymore. It gives a whole lot of leg room for the scriptwriters to tell new stories where Nick and Happy solve crimes and I assume to put an end to Mr. Blue (wait till end credits!). 


Image from Variety

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)