Prince Caspian (1.4.09)


Rating:★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Action & Adventure

I’ve already given it a 4 because I’m a bit (?!) biased with Caspian himself (these past few movies forgive me for being so prejudiced) without a single knowledge from the book (I will collect it as soon as I finish owning all the books I’ve read and haven’t forgotten). So I would judge this movie only with what I’ve seen so if you are a fan, or if you’ve read it, pardon my ignorance.

After all the fantasy books and movies I couldn’t help myself compare those mythical creatures in this one, like the centaurs were weird (for me at least) that they aren’t arrogant as it was in Potter’s but the astrology ability was the same, the faun in Pan’s Labyrinth was better looking (yohoo *Sir del Toro!), the fighting trees here weren’t as funny as I found it in LOTR (remember that scene when some tree caught his leaves on fire then he suddenly dipped it on the flood to douse it. In such a serious ‘war’ moment I found it quite funny and I believe the artists had fun with that too), but the water-god was better in this one with his long ‘flowy’ hair.

I rarely watch love stories but I do enjoy love stories within a story, in this case, Susan and Caspian. Too bad there isn’t a way for them to be together (unless someone there stands up and spoils me with information with what have and would happen in the book) but the tension was there and that was enough (or else I might faint because it’s too much). What makes it worse is the huge time difference of Narnia and our Earth, Caspian can’t leave because he’s a prince, Susan shouldn’t because then she’d be dead even before Lucy would turn 18.

It’s been 4 days and I can’t exactly remember a lot of things but I do remember how Lucy talked casually with Aslan who both sat comfortably as if there wasn’t a war going on one side of the forest. There was also this creature that was so astounded with the water-god that he actually looked around as if he was saying ‘Are you seeing what I’m seeing?’ and my initial reaction was: ‘You both are mythical! What’s there to be surprised?’ And with that I cracked a joke with my sister saying ‘So that’s why there aren’t mythical creatures ‘left’. We kept on killing them I see’. (haha!) What’s also amazing was how these kids know how to yield a sword, not to mention the bulky armor suits. Yes I’ve watched the first instalment of Narnia, but still, I can’t shake the feeling that there is something wrong with that idea.

I would watch the next one but not with much anticipation since I haven’t really been awed by Narnia movies so far. But I am hopeful in reading the book someday and I may like it better. Who knows, I may even bash this one once I’ve read the ‘real’ thing.




*Sir is a habit I came to get accustomed to when talking about people I really admire (and sort of envy that I wish I can think like that). I even recalled the first person I ever calling ‘Sir’ was Sir Arnold Arre. The sir I’m referring here is Sir Guillermo del Toro who creates movie monsters that are exceptionally beautiful. You can see most of his genius splattered over Hellboy 2 (I forgot if he was also responsible with Hellboy 1) and man he is so creative.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)