Japan 2020 (Part 3)



On our way to Nagasaki yay! Since our plan here is now very lax due to the missed HTB trip, we were thinking of extending a day but we're not sure whether it be here or in Fukuoka. We'd think about it in a few days. It's a long ride and even though we didn't get the ones near the coast we were able (or I did anyway) to move to a seat nearer because there aren't much passengers. I loved how everything looks brighter and it's just a few days but I never thought I'd miss seeing the sun. 




One of the most amazing things I didn't know before in Japanese trains is that their seats can be rotated! There are routes that looked like as if you're travelling "back" and this detail that you can get your seat on the "right" orientation is really fascinating. 

Stepping out of the train it automatically felt different. It's as if it's much more laid back. Granted there is a mall right out of the station but it didn't have that business / city feel like the other places I've been to. I also love that their train station is idiot friendly since it's the first and last stop! It's impossible get lost.  





When they say Nagasaki is hilly, IT IS HILLY. Like seriously. And if you're hauling a large luggage best be prepared to carry it of sorts. The first time we crossed this overpass (on the left is the train station, on the right is where our hotel is) I didn't know there was an elevator (discovered it in our 2nd or 4th day I think) so I had to haul my bag by the stairs to and fro. I didn't know it would get worse for me after a few steps when I had to roll my very heavy bag on the very steep hill our hostel is on. I thought my heart will finally give. I was lucky to have our hosts carry my bag upstairs because the steps are extremely narrow. 

+ ROUTE - Cafe Petit and Hostel +

Reception and cafe is at the 2nd floor, rooms and bath are in the 3rd. We didn't get to go upstairs and I forgot if there's anything there. Initial reaction, it's quaint and cozy. I'm not sure if really tall and bulky guys would enjoy their stay but for a regular Asian, this is just perfect. If you're planning to stay here with a friend, GET YOURSELF YOUR OWN ROOM. You could effectively use the one above, but it would be less of a hassle if you both just have your own space.




Their bath is really nice too, the shower has some instructions on how to use and man, the water pressure is amazing. I remembered staying so much just to let it fall on my body it's like getting a mini massage after walking so much for the rest of day. The toilet is separated from the bath, which is fine but too narrow. I'm not that huge and I still find it hard to get in/out. There is also a kitchenette and a table and some seats in case you wanted to buy something to cook or just to eat take out. 

Each room is equipped with it's own electric fan which I didn't get to use since I'd rather have the heater on. It takes a lot of skill to maneuver with my bag and other stuff with the limited floor space especially when the accordion doors are closed so imagine sharing that tiny space with someone. Just have realistic expectations I say if you wanted to stay here because it's still a wonderful experience for me in regards to hostels. I'd rather have this than share a bunk bed with 9 others you know.

One of the great things about the hostel is the beautiful view in the mornings You get to see the Martyr Museum and the eclectic church near it. It's also near to the train station, streetcar and konbinis! There's also a Yoshinoya nearby which I've learned is a favorite of Rochelle's.


Price: 10,164.87PHP for 3 nights (with some 483.90PHP discount at Agoda)  

The hotel offered us a streetcar day pass (500 JPY) as soon as we checked in. We imagine we'd be using it a lot the next day so we got one. It's also a visitor's map which is handy if you're winging your IT. 




+ Mt. Inasa Observatory + 



 For our first day here in Nagasaki, we planned to go to Mt. Inasa Observatory. As you can see from the map above, no streetcar goes there so we stepped off of Takara-machi station and walked all the way to the ropeway. I don't know why we did it because it's quite far. 

When we arrived there, it was a bit confusing on where is the actual ropeway entrance. We decided to just go to the parking. There's a temple there, Rochelle went up to pray* while I walked towards the modern looking building that I suspect to be what we're looking for. 






What a win. There are 0 people other than us which means-- we get to have the cable car to ourselves!! I love it. 

The observatory is a bit old but it seems stable. There are also not a lot of people around so our view photos are really good. We decided to stay until it's dark since we're already there although be forewarned, BRING A REALLY THICK COAT. Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. 

While we were walking around, we found another attraction. I have never seen this discussed yet, AFAIK it's relatively new, but they have a slope car. We're killing time until we get to eat at the restaurant and we've already exhausted all the places we can take photos with the city view so we decided to go. 




If you're with kids and you wanted to let's say play around, it's something for your consideration. There's a mini zoo, a playground and a huge place to just maybe have a picnic, fly a kite or anything. It might be boring for some but staying there felt really good to my lungs. I kept on staring at the fountain and it's fine. I'm already content when there's trees and benches and not so harsh sun that honestly if I have a car I would stay without worrying what time the ropeway closes. Heck if I live in Nagasaki I would probably be there most weekends.





SPECIAL SURPRISE!

It's nearing 4PM and we decided to go up. As we've embarked on the the slope car a familiar face greeted us.

Quick flashback

While we're waiting for the slope car to fetch us from the top, I asked the guy at the entrance if there are any buses that will take us to the Nagasaki Station. He's trying to say there is, he even whipped out his english translator to which it fails to load. I smiled when he said to the device "Basu arimasu" because damn it I understood it! I just said OK and left it at that. 

Back to the present

Said guy greeted us and we greeted him as well out of courtesy. What surprised me was he gave me papers showing me each page OF HOW WE'RE GOING TO THE BUS!! It's basically just going out of the Ropeway office and onto the bus stop in front but it's so cool that he went all that trouble to bring us instructions AND PRINT THEM IN COLOR SO WE WON'T GET LOST!

I wish I've gotten his name, he was so thoughtful! Anyways, I always have this kind of story when I get to Japan. They're really friendly.




+ Hikari No Restaurant +

There's only one restaurant there (the only one we found btw) which we got in as soon as it's opened to dining customers (the rest of the time they only offer tea) so we could get window seats. I love that they made they seats look out instead of diners face to face. If in another season I would wager we wouldn't have gotten those seats at all. 



Turkey Rice. It does not have turkey. 1600 JPY. 



I'm sorry Japan, you don't have our really pretty sunsets. 



It's true, it's like looking at a galaxy!

Going back it was really stressful. Unlike when we went up where there weren't as many tourists, this time we're jam packed inside. At this moment there's a lingering COVID scare so being in such a tight space is really scary. I'm even more scared with the female attendants who had to be in the cable car each way. I hope she'd be safe. 

We did find our bus and were able to get back to Nagasaki station without a hitch. I liked that we found that route because I'm not going to walk all the way back to our hostel on foot! 

Price: 1250 JPY roundtrip for the Ropeway to the observatory / 500 JPY for the slope car 


EXTRAS!


It looks like it's from a floating city:





Goodnight from my bed:






*Effectively you can pray to this but know that the temple is where you go and pray if you want to have babies and possibly if it's education related. Rochelle was shocked about the baby part but I told her maybe if it's for education it's still fine? IDK.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.