Dear Sijin Inaanak,


It was such a sad day I even hated how the sun shone too bright


Today is truly unfortunate. I write to you in hopes that maybe when you're older and can read and you stumble upon this post appreciate this small time capsule I've prepared for you. 

I was one of your Papa's office friends. In all the years he's been with us we've shared a lot of things. We played the same games. We used to play Castle Clash at lunch time. We lost interest in that and then lately we've started playing Pokemon Go. He even gave me some pokemons that are hard to catch. We collectively watch almost the same shows. I remembered him saying he used to watch Friends a lot of times way back in college. But for now (as of) we're fans of Game of Thrones. I know he's preparing for the season ender, but then... Last night I was even rehearsing in my head how when he's cleared of the hospital I'd kid him how he would shrug the accident off just so he could finish the series. That he would come out of it with just a facial scar. You know, your dad was most excited to see it. We shared tons of memories with food, I bet you would see a lot of pictures of us his office friends over lunch and meryenda. We're witness to when your parents tied the knot, when they christened you to church, and on your first birthday. In the instagram account your parents made you, one of those pictures, and probably one of the best ones I ever took was with you and your Papa. You could literally see that even if you're still just a baby, he's proud of you already. He even regularly shares to us some photos and videos of you. The best would have to be when on your birthday I gave you a walking dinosaur that roars and how you cry when it approaches you. 

You know, your father was a really good person. I remembered sometime when he gave me milk tea as I was in line a book signing and he didn't made me pay. I don't know if he still remembered that but I never forgot it. It was a really nice gesture. When my father died he and your mom went to his interment, and if I remember correctly, even twice. I don't know if he's there for the food though :D. Your father was easy going and have only been nice to us. He does love to tease especially when it's a good material to laugh at. 

But then yesterday happened. No one expected it, we can't believe it. Earlier this morning we convened in the office, quiet and in tears. Personally I broke down a couple of times in despair (even as I'm writing this!). Everytime someone asks and I had to explain I couldn't help but wail and weep in between words. And I know that most of us, his friends in the office are suffering in silence. I remembered one of his team mates said that their boss was hysterical when she learned about it. I mean who wouldn't be? You expect it with other people, old ones atleast. But not to one of your friends. Especially if they barely made it to 40. I long imagined asking your family when it's my turn to wed, and maybe getting your parents meet my own kid(s) someday. I am a bit certain that would be harder to achieve now since I'm (we're) only a friend of your Papa. I don't even have the number of your mom to tell her personally that his friends loved her husband, it may not be the same as hers but loved him genuinely just the same. His loss is definitely felt.

You know, I was actually hoping that we'd all collectively grow old and wrinkly and complain of back aches and how we're still contractors. We'd look back on days when we were younger when we played those stupid games and those old shows we obsessed on that our kids would never like. We would complain of tuition fees and proms and go to each other's kid's weddings. Some regular boring stuff. 

I wish that parallel universes are true. Somewhere that this post never exist because then your Papa would. But in this lifetime, I want you to know that we once met your dad. We were friends. And this was one of the worst Fridays ever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI Express Credit Card: Ridiculously fast.