Twilight

Rating:★★★
Category:Books
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy
Author:Stephenie Meyer
Finally finished the book yesterday (Dec 4, which means it took me 4 days of sneaking it in between my work times, and an hour per day before finally retiring to my bed) and yes. It did entertain me.

Now do not forget I just made the review of the movie version and my instincts are so right on how I hated the film. Why? Well let me enumerate 'some' parts:

1. In watching the film, have you noticed the gaps? Those parts where Bella and Edward just stare endlessly at each other? I didn't get it on screen but I do now understood what it meant. She is mystified by his beauty and he, mystified with her smell. Well sorry didn't really get it. They don't look mystified to me.

2. Rosalie (no not that vampire girl with the spiky hair, the other one) was not the one who wore Bella's jacket. It was Esme (their "mother") who not only wore her jacket, but instead, completely exchanged clothes.

3. Did you know that Emmett (the huge bulky vampire guy) can actually affect emotions? Nope.

4. Did you know that Alice (yes, she's the one with the short spiky hair) was the one who dressed Bella to the prom? And did you know that they were actually in so good terms on the book? Something so important as this should not have been missed out. Oh yeah. They were close. Big deal! (sarcasm there)

5. I challenge you to tell me how the 5 of them became vampires. It is important, I guess, in knowing how, why, and who transformed who. Did you know that James once hunted Alice? And as he claimed, smelled way better than Bella? (No, James haven't tasted Alice's blood. Someone else did. Better read it ok?)

6. There is this Voltair(e) (not sure about the spelling. I'm so tired of checking it again...) family, Edward says the closest thing they have in a monarch family of 'their' kind. I instinctively believe they'd show up later on her books.

7. I wished they emphasized
a. Edward's romantic Nth century (forgot again sorry) attitude towards Bella
b. Bella's obsession over him and the urge in becoming a vampire which is hugely important on the
sequel's preface. (Aww...I was so thrilled with the 'dream' I wished it would be executed perfectly on the next Twilight movie)

Well that's all I could write. But there are tons of things that would be so hard for anyone who hasn't read it in understanding the film. Yes, it won't exactly be like the book, but I do believe some of the things I enumerated (plus the things I'm so lazy to add) are quite essential in establishing characters, motives, relationships and even paving the way for the movie sequel.

And oh, before I forget, pay no attention to those comparing it with HP. Please. Stop. Movie and Book included.

Comments

  1. Since you read this thick book. Ever read Tom Clancy / Jack Ryan Series? It will be ultimately be a lot of work but its very very rewarding. It may seem lke a guy thing with all the warfare and violence but you learn a lot about culture, politics , history and being in the heads and the meetings of movers and shakers. Also the characters get to evolve over the series of books. I can't say enough about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah Tom Clancy I've heard of but never as much touched a book of his (grinning now...), never heard of Jack Ryan though... well yes... i'm sort of a book lover for as far as i can remember (imagine me in gradeschool who enjoys lifting the pages of a dictionary), well as much as i've wanted to but not exactly as others do... i feel like a novice still when it comes to reading... or probably stubborn... i'm more like the first page would determine if i'd ever continue reading a book, same with movies, it must catch my short attention span of 5 mins. or I'd end up wishing the entire time that there must be a remote somewhere...hahaha

    i'm not really into war stuff but i'd try some of those after these i just bought. (wiii so excited to actually finish new moon (twilight sequel) so i'd proceed (more like bypass the rest of the twilight series) on with the white tiger... gosh. can't believe national bookstore had it already in stock unlike a bright shiny morning) thanks for the recommend. i think i'd try that all because of the evolving character part..soo love dynamic characters... (",)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack Ryan is the main character in that series. Tom Clancy actually has many books but some do not involve Jack Ryan and I have not read most of them that don't. I can only recommend what I have read. The movies based on the books range from excellent to good to awful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh... just like Langdon...goody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend going to a second hand book sale that every mall seems to have. You can start from any of these 3 books: Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games or Without Remourse. Will not spoil the continuity.

    Wiki talks about him like he was a real person. I know you won't do this but in case anyone else is reading, don't watch the movies and mistake them as equivalent of the books.


    http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/authors/popular/tomclancy.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ryan_%28Tom_Clancy%29

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sowwee jasper po not emmett yung nakakaaffect ng mood... kinorrect ko po sya sa next post... pero since wala akong magawa... wahehe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)