Gadget Review: Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 14IIL05



My laptop had recently decided to not turn on anymore and I'm panicking over my tax filing by November. It took a month for the service center to tell me what's wrong and just learned a few days ago that it would be another month more for the parts to be delivered from Taiwan to repair my machine. (Sigh)

I did not expect to buy a new machine this year (after all of my Lazada/Shoppee purchases) but I thought it would be best to just do it now to get it over with. I've been obsessing with it too, other than my lame attempts to make it work with my other laptop that has been with me for more than 10 years I think. It had ton of issues, still boots though but I can't really make the BIR form to work. It's a hassle to use as well. So anyways, off to a new one, and my first sign came when I found a model that covers everything on my list. It's also on a limited promo period this month so my excitement to grab the opportunity was really high.

After using ASUS twice, I always end up having issues with the keyboard for some reason. The last one I was told had a shorted keyboard and I don't know why the HDD was affected (hence no boot). So clearly it made me think twice in getting another Asus. I researched as much as I can for possible models and eventually decided to get the Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5. 

As far as I know there are a lot of models around but I got the one with "14IIL05 81X1007VPH". I have no idea what it means but I'm going on a limb here that it meant : 14 inches, silver. There's teal, but AFAIK there are limited stocks left especially in Megamall and I don't want to go anywhere else so yeah, I just got the silver.




My wishlist that were actually on this model:

1. Needs a large RAM

Yeap. I used to be too concerned with the size of HDD but after my last laptop I realized I favor the size of RAM more because of all the multitasking tasks and programs I run. This one has a 16 GB RAM!

2. Hopefully SDD

Yes! This one has a 430GB (475 GB from the box) free. This is enough I think for all the games and photos/videos that pile up since I'm the type who rarely deletes stuff. I've also learnt that it causes for a faster boot.

3. Windows Hello

It's hard to look for a Windows Hello ready laptop, like the one I use in the office (now at home) so if I won't get a face recog machine, might as well have a fingerprint at least, which this one has. I'm so used to (almost) all of my devices with any sort of biometric features that I would really love it if my personal laptop have it as well.

4. i7

Since we're already upgrading, why not. I mean, we're having a nice RAM already, why should I be skimping on processors now?


Really good features I was surprised to get:

1. Camera Cover

I didn't know that this model have this feature so I was really happy when it caught my eye when it was unboxed at the store. No need for me to purchase another sticker.


2. Pen AND HOLDER!!

Same with the pen. I know the YOGA series has it so when it was shown to me I found it like an unnecessary accessory but because the screen is also a touchscreen, it makes sense. I tried it once and realized that unlike my IPAD, the pen does not stick anywhere (maybe add magnets next time?). This would be rolling all over the table for sure! I started looking for options online (15USD!) until I found an article saying that it comes with one holder! Finding it on the box made me truly happy. 



3. Flexible

I was telling the guy at Complink that I don't need the screen protector because I would rarely use the touchscreen anyway BUT he might have had a chance to convince me better if I've known that this model can be laid out real flat or like a tablet. I only realized this when I read the sticker near the scroll pad. Now I have to get back to find a fitting protector for this. This is exceptionally perfect for watching TV shows. 


4. Speaking of the scroll pad

It looks like there would be no smudge on this one. The one I'm using for work is matted so there's grease I can't get rid of. This doesn't seem like it would have the problem because the material feels different to the touch.                  

5. Material, interesting

It's a bit heavy but let me assure you it's because of the build. The alloy metal is very smooth. Even the pen doesn't feel plasticky.

6. Keyboard lights!

Yay! Although I'm OK with typing, having lights on they keyboard is really good to have. The keyboard is spaced excellently as well. I've typed this blog on this laptop and so far my fingers have adapted perfectly. 

7. Audio in front

Very excellent. I've tried to watch shows here and even in tablet position, the audio is good enough for streaming which I'm getting fond of to use (tablet mode, the keyboard already it's built in kickstand) 


For improvement


1. Little things on the keyboard 

I find it iffy that the keyboard's default is NOT the Function keys. I also find it odd that when I play Cities Skylines it needed me to use the Function Key for me to use the Page Up and Page down buttons. It should be on it's default state since there are no other extra option for these buttons, no?

2. While I love the dolby audio...

The location of the speakers could be a hassle in the long run. Not only do you need to worry bits going to your keys now the speakers on both sides can be a problem too.

3. I wish they have another USB slot on the left

So that I don't have to remove the Pen holder. You literally have to remove it to use the 2 USBs and the power button. 

4. And speaking of the holder

Maybe, just maybe, put a magnet on the thing instead like Surface and Ipad. It does work you know. Doing so will solve three things: no need for external batteries, we won't need a pen holder and, the space on the right will be free.

5. Maybe it's because of the alloy?

But it can really get hot for very long durations (max vol, playing Cities Skylines). 

I got the unit for 64, 999.00 and comes with the ff. freebies :a backpack, Lenovo K9 Pro and an MS Office License. I reckoned that the other models/brands that I'm going for can still add up to the price if I got an MS Office separately, which I was really trying to get. I felt like it's an opportune time for the upgrade ever since I got the promo. It didn't help that it's hard to look for stock, which as I know with myself, you never mention when you sales pitch me because I go crazy. I asked for 3 stores and was only successful with one. Guess everyone had the idea. If you do plan to pay in Cash / Straight, there is a 3k discount. 

+++

BONUS!

ULTRA HELPFUL GUIDE FOR THOSE WHO MAY ENCOUNTER WIFI NOT WORKING FOR LENOVO LAPTOPS (or maybe it will work on your other brands too)


I don't know if  you would ever encounter this but something odd happened when I got it home and tested it. 

So I had it connected to my WIFI and something odd happens. Whenever it attempts to connect to my broadband, everything else logs out, and it does as well for a second. It's either everything is connected or none at all (this is after different tests). Upon research, BF told me that it's possible that since new tech is used by the laptop, the router "compensates" to adapt which is problematic with other devices.  

If it's the same issue, the solution is quite simple. You just need to update your WIFI drivers (Device Manager > Look for your wifi adapter > right click > update > follow instructions). I did mine by downloading it over my mobile's data and after that everything is already fine. 

+++

MODIFIED BONUS

Mini Review for the Lenovo K9 Pro

I honestly do not need the phone, but it's a nice freebie nonetheless. It's ironically almost the same size as my phone, They have the same dimensions, even the placement of the buttons are the same. The specs are quite nice, 64GB (with really low bloatware unlike other brands), 6GB of RAM, Android 8.1.0, Qualcomm Snapdragon octacore. For a free phone that's something. I especially liked that it comes with a finger print reader at the back. I have an important purpose for this, but I'm not gonna announce it to world. Just know that it's a very nice freebie, 10x better than an optical mouse.


+++

ENHANCED BONUS

For the MS Office, you just need to sign in on the Office that is already installed. It's good and ready to go. However, activate the thing after 7 days because the license is paired with the unit so in case you needed to return it, your free MS Office won't be forfeited.  Also, no security keys needed.


+++

Epilogue


YES. The BIR Forms does work with this one. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)