Challenges of Living Independently

239f7b605602bd79da9a9a7eea8c4467


I've been living on my own for almost 3 years now and sometimes I forget to be thankful for the opportunity. I'm in no way at the top of my game but I do know a lot of those in my age who are still living with their parents (this is the Philippines after all) even when they've already rearing kids. I don't have any yet and I don't want to change that soon not unless of course me and the bf truly hitch. But for the meantime I'm on my own and boy there are challenges on being one.




  1. Food. I don't shy away at the kitchen but one thing I don't know is how to prep just for one. There are times when I have to eat my adobo for a week and by the end of that stretch it's not amazing anymore. There was even a time I had to throw a batch of shrimp pasta because I've been eating them for so long it started tasting funky.

  2. Cleaning. Initially when the boyfriend visits to pick me up before we go out I clean as much as I can. Lately though it has been a rare opportunity. Even my closet looks like a sea of clothes I sometimes surprise myself I haven't worn a certain shirt for a long time.

  3. Silence. I remember the first time I moved in to this unit when there was no cable. It was so weird since my unit came with a TV but there is nothing on. I didn't have broadband then as well that I have to go by with mobile data which wasn't as reliable as I hoped.

  4. Drinking Water. I used to order water but was fed up on it when the delivery was just not reliable. There was even a time that I had to rely on the water AT THE OFFICE just so I can drink. Later on I had filters installed and never had any problems after that. If only I wasn't too lazy filling my containers!


These are the things I love though!

  1. Food. I can eat whatever, whenever I want. I don't need to worry if someone's getting hungry. I don't even need to share my cake!

  2. Lazy. Some holidays and saturdays I call it HermiTina. It's when I could just do series and movie marathon the entire day and I won't hear anyone complaining on my viewing choices.

  3. Silence. As much as I love to hear anything other than the buzzing of appliances, I appreciate not needing to talk to anyone especially in the mornings. I hate waking up due to blaring noise.

  4. Freedom--- to do practically anything. Crafting, reading, idle myself away. I know the last one is not really ideal but I look forward this after a day of work.


 

living-alone-and-loving-it1201


That is not me but I do spend my days as free looking as that since no one's going to judge what I wear


In spite of all the challenges, I really find this independence somewhat empowering. It may not be in our culture to leave the nest without getting married or living in with someone but moving out especially on your own puts a lot of things in perspective. You get to have obligations, you suddenly have the need to know your neighbors (I know no one at our house in Cavite I had to make up neighbors to put in my OJT form; I lived there for more than 10 years) and you have to resolve things all on your own. I don't know if being comfortable doing things by myself already has anything to do with it (eating lunch, watching movies, etc.). All I know is that by the end of the day, after all the nightly rituals, after I've checked the locks on the door and have laid my back on my bed, everything seems right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)