Urban Adventures: MIBF 2010 (09.18.10)


MIBF Entrance at SMX

MIBF or Manila International Book Fair hasn't eluded my eyes again (or so you think since I haven't posted anything after the event). Inspite of being disappointed twice over last year after enticing an officemate to come with and not even coming close to her expectations, I still went here in positive to find gems.

To give you reader to know how I do this book buying decision, I am that type who randomly buy books from fairs but I do have this criteria:

1. It must not be too expensive (since it's a fair after all).
2. It must still be intact, no dog ears, no book ridges.
3. The teaser must be exciting, I must have heard it elsewhere or the author is someone I know or have heard.
4. Decisions would only be made after making sure that I haven't seen it elsewhere.


That's REX Bookstore

So I made my rounds first, scouting every single store as I normally do on trade fairs. Again, not all picky with the authors. In the end here's what I've got:



1. Sudoku Fever - pages and pages of Sudoku. Haven't played it in a while. I might use the brain teaser.
2. XML Developers guide- I will eventually study this when I have the time.
3. From a Buick 8/Stephen King - probably priced 100php in hard bound.
4. A Woman with two Navels/Nick Joaquin - this goes to the Filipino pile.
5. Catch me a Firefly/ - got this on a discount, way cheaper for it's current price at any bookstore.
6. Change we Can Believe In/Barack Obama - around 50php I think.
I was skeptical about this but just thought how cheap they're selling a book in good-condition. Not sure about the contents but at least I haven't spent that much.
7.Scent of Apples/Bienvenido N. Santos - I remembered him from my Filipino Lit. class
8. Personal Finance Book 8/Robert - the cheapest hard bound book I ever saw in Personal Finance, not even priced at 100php. I leafed on it and find it informative.

When I was done I found myself hauling so much books I have ever carried my entire life. Just those three (1, 2, 3, 8) weigh so much being thick and all I even bought that colorful SM Bag because I was afraid my ever so reliable Doulos loot bag's straps would give in. I think I almost broke my back.


So much did all of these cost? Around 800php, and that includes my entrance fee of 20php. Not bad this year don't you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)