T&J Travels #5: Antipolo 2016

Maybe the boyfriend wanted to make it up to me with my failed plan*, but I'm nowhere near complaining when he pitched going to Antipolo. We are to rely on public transpo for this day tour and what do you know, it could have never been better than expected!



+ The Exciting Time of Sitting Down +



There are 3 places near my place where we can attempt to catch a shuttle. What we tried first was at Megamall which unfortunately had only one seat left and it was eating our time sitting there waiting for another one to come. I was able to get a Growlithe though!


We gave that up after probably a good 30 minute wait and walked to Galleria. Lo and behold we're the first to be on queue that we even got the front seats yay! It was a bit of a long wait for more passengers thought but it was offset by the absence of heavy traffic. We arrived  quarter to 11.


+ Antipolo Cathedral +


20160820_114321_Fotor



For first timers like us it was really convenient that our first stop for the day and the last stop of the shuttle was the Antipolo Cathedral. Initially we weren't too sure where it was, I think we've passed by a few churches that might pass off as one but then you see that huge dome in your view and you realize that THAT is the one.


I may not be a Catholic but I always enjoy going to Churches, especially Roman Catholic ones. What added to it's charm is how inspite of being at a busy street, it was clean and everything is in it's place, not blocking the beautiful building.


The terminal we got off is on a street at the left which made the Cathedral the best landmark you could tell someone who would commute for the first time to Antipolo. It made me comfortable knowing that I can go back to a place familiar when need be, not to mention no tricycle driver would not know where the Cathedral is. It was also nice that the ped xings are properly followed. If the guy who ushered us is to be believed, it's 5k for the offense.


The cathedral is not as huge inside, not too much decor, nor was it grandiose like other churches. But even so, the plain white dome interior is a refreshing take in lieu of paintings and chandeliers.



+ La Traviesa +


20160820_120632_Fotor


A seafood buffet place, we got there via tricycle (30php). Our driver didn't know it (must be new), but he proactively asked his friends where to. We got there around lunch time so it's understandable that the place is truly packed. But then in my head I don't get why they have no people in front to seat nor entertain us. Reagan went in after a while of waiting because the waiters seemed like they're ignoring our presence (there's probably 2 tables left so we need to act quickly if we want to eat). He asked someone who gave us plates (tables have cutleries but no plates, it seems like it's something you have to request) and we're off to start. It's a sort of mini culture shock, this is the first time we've seen such system in getting yourself a table.


Truly as advertised there are lots of seafood dishes (probably 5-6), or so I think. Flavors don't differ much. The shrimp isn't as fresh as hoped (our gauge is that the shell of the shrimp is sticking too much to it's flesh). I had my full though because it wasn't bad for 300++ per head. I loved the veggies because they're not soggy and the fried rice had so much ingredients on it.


20160820_122001_Fotor


What had truly surprised me was that being a seafood buffet, their bestseller was none of the main dishes (they are always fully stocked) but their appetizer: kamote chips. It's really funny that when you eat here in Manila the first to go are shrimps, while here the kamote chips don't stay long on the buffet table. I was lucky to get a first batch when I went back to get some and boy they are really tasty! You won't even taste that familiar earthy taste of kamote, you could actually fool anyone that it's just potato.


+ Pinto Art Gallery +


20160820_141547_HDR_Fotor


There was already a light shower when we arrived (tricycle was probably 50php?) that the road is becoming muddy. I am not sure if you need to pay extra when you bring your own car to park or even enter (it is within a subdivision but near the guard) but tricycles don't need to.


Entrance fee is 200php for adults, a different charge for those who plan to do photoshoots. Backpacks are prohibited but it seems like you can talk yourself out of it to my annoyance.**


20160820_142234_Fotor


I loved it, there's so much to see. The weirdness of some artworks, the multiple ways you can go to a building, different levels and random rocks out of nowhere. If this is something I could afford, this is an excellent place to hold an event! I could only imagine how it might look with all the drapings and flowers you could dress it in.


20160820_152256_Fotor


What I didn't like though was how some groups hound artworks just so they can take the best shoot. It's ridiculous and sad at the same time. Imagine hanging out with friends who are onto outdoing (or out-instagramming rather) each other. Just keep an eye ON groups who had all the works: makeup, outfits and slrs. Go the other way to better enjoy the moment.


My favorite installation is the simplest, but to me was the most immersive: The Forest. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but I truly loved it. It's like all my senses are engaged coming in. I hope they never remove it!


20160820_152916_Fotor


+ Hinulugang Taktak +


I knew I've been here once on a field trip ages ago but I could not recall a single memory of what it should look like that's why I still felt giddy seeing it like as if it's my first time. Initially we weren't allowed in because they were saying that they close the park when it rains (apparently due to falling branches) but they may have noticed we were "tourists" and allowed us in after a while as we lingered looking over the railings to see the waterfalls (and also there are a few visitors around the area the reasoning is not valid).


20160820_155912_Fotor


The water is quite muddy probably because of the rain, a bit of trash at the bottom (sad face) but I bet it would be much better on another day. I liked that they have a lot of places where families can hang out for free, however they should do something about some parts of the park that aren't cemented yet. It also looks like a budget friendly option to get married since the area near the falls is a fair size for your guests. You just have to deal with the water spray though.



+ Cloud9 Resort +


This is so out of the way of the rest of everything else so it's somewhat reasonable to pay 120 for the tricycle. We didn't know what to expect on how high it is as well so we added 30 for the driver to take us on the actual resort. Do not attempt this when you're a group, it's safer to walk up. You'd know what I mean once you see how steep it is.


20160820_162609_Fotor


The view up here is breathtaking. That is of course if only the rain would just stop. It would have been nice to be able to dine out of the glass enclosure, away from some smoking patrons. I have no idea if they have other areas reserved for non-smokers but it doesn't look like it. We suppose that the dining area is for drinking sessions and barkada gatherings. Not too romantic if you ask me.


I've no appetite (I don't know why) so we just got tuna sandwiches and calamansi juice. Other than inhaling smoke from the next table this has got to be the #1 downer for the day. You can't even see where in the sandwich the tuna resides and for 130++ it's too disappointing. Back in the office I pay 25 pesos for a rye bread overflowing with tuna and vegetables!!


We're supposed to try the hanging bridge but it doesn't look safe (looks slippery due to rain) and I've no urge to do the 360 experience since it's cloudy anyway. We'd just try it for next time.


20160820_171403_Fotor


+ Going Home +


Unlike everything else we've been to, the location of Cloud9 is hard to get any form of public transpo. We tried walking and back, to be saved by a tricycle who dropped off a group at Cloud9 too. We went back to the Cathedral to buy some pasalubongs (we got our kasuy for 100php a glass and a few freebies). It was quite stressful, everyone is extremely competitive, one was even claiming hailed us to her store but we have no idea who she was.


There were also kids who kept on selling Catholic necklaces, repetitively telling you to share your blessings it has become super annoying. I do give alms but I want to do it on my own volition. A no means no. Reagan is quite nicer, he gave in to those two girls.


It wasn't hard for us to get a shuttle back to Megamall, and the waiting time is reasonable. There was a bit of traffic but not as bad as it is in EDSA. More and more Antipolo looks like a good place to get a house (wink!) since it is really convenient to and fro Ortigas CBD. We will try to get back around May so we could try what Kasuy (the fruit) really taste like. I'm hoping it won't be raining anymore!


Raw Gallery (no edits, not even which photos are on the album!)



*Wednesday that week I told him what if we spend the weekend at Tagaytay since me and officemates are going there on a Friday night. I wanted to just meet him there instead of me going back home. I was really sold to the idea of waking up on a different location in the morning, I even thought of bringing clothes for an early exercise (naks!). It would be convenient for me too since I'd be checking out early Sunday to go to our Church in Cavite. He said it wasn't a good idea though because his car haven't had any checkup yet.


**I only bring backpacks nowadays which I think would benefit my back, but it's too small my officemate once remarked I stole it from a child. So anyway, I left it at their area as told BUT there was this girl who had a huge ass bag that could probably fit 10 of what I have who didn't want to leave hers and "promised" the guy in the baggage counter she would wear it in front instead. SHE NEVER DID AFTER HE LOOKED AWAY. DAMMIT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)