Japan 2020 (Part 4)



We have already bought the day passes the day before and we chose to use it for today since upon checking our IT, we would need it to go around.

+ Nagasaki Peace Park + 




Roaming the park is free and it's all within walking distance with everything so dedicate an entire day to this. It's easy from the street car to reach although get ready because it will involve tons and tons of walking. 

From our vantage point we start at the Fountain of Peace. It's surrounded by donated sculptures around the globe that are all unique on it's own. I loved that on our visit we were able to go around solemnly. Not a soul in sight. 





On the other end of the park is the famous Nagasaki Peace Statue. I was really giddy seeing it in real life because I remembered it on the 7 Seeds episode being almost submerged under the water showing how high the oceans have gone. 







From where we are, we thought it would be fine to visit this famous Catholic Church before resuming Atomic related places. 




Are you seeing how high this is?



+ Urakami Cathedral + 

From the Peace park, you just need to follow the residential roads leading to the orange church. Both the park and the church are on hills so it's easy to spot. The church is very much pretty inside but we can not go in due to Covid. I hope that when it reopens I can finally get to come in but hopefully my knees can still take it. It was an extremely steep climb. 






We haven't eaten yet so we got a few stuff from a konbini nearby to eat as we walk. We've also gotten by to a confectionery shop which was brimming with old people buying in bulk. I got this sweet dessert which is weird because I could never google anything that looks like this. It's soft and amazingly not too sweet. I wish I can find this somewhere else. 




+ Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum +



Again, no lines and slim number of people. After the ticket area, we start at a semi dark room providing a summary the moment the bomb dropped. There's broken beams, a water tower and even the original statues from the Urakami Cathedral we saw earlier. 





The next halls have displays of random artifacts from the aftermath. There's also photos of people who survived but suffered illnesses you can only get from radioactive fallout. There's also a very interesting photo with a very grim story to tell. I won't type it here so you can appreciate how it on your visit. 

The visit supplements the rest of places around Nagasaki and possibly if you've been or are planning to go to Hiroshima too.    

Entrance: 200JPY

+ Hypocenter and the Peace Statue +

Just across it is the Hypocenter and the Peace Statue which can be reached with more descending steps. It's simply an open park which you can probably overlook but since we're already here, why not right? 





+ Dejima +




The small patch of land it now resides is a historical site that is now preserved for tourism. They've recreated the old Dejima complete with buildings you can actually visit. There are 'mini" museums inside of how it looked like before. It reminded me of how it was in Las Casas where you get to visit each house and see the different exhibits inside. I obviously loved the one where they had the miniatures. 

It's also a good idea to have easily removable shoes because there are some places that you need to remove them to preserve the old wooden floors.  






+ Chinatown +  

Obviously to cap the day, there's Chinatown. We walked all the way there although you could use the tram instead. Most of the stores are closed so we only got to eat with the few open ones where you just grab and go for your food. Milk tea would have been an option for me but I'm afraid Nagasaki doesn't have too many restrooms that are easy to find. I'm afraid my bowels would betray me. 





There's also a Totoro store!! As of writing, I am pinching myself for not buying a few DIY items I should have been doing this quarantine time. They even have light boxes. I was able to see a few of them in a few toy shops we've been to the next days and have still not gotten any so it's basically just my fault. Anyways, I have to just take note in stocking on those when I get back. 




+ Bonus: Yoshinoya! +

For dinner we went to the nearest Yoshinoya. We were just talking about it when I spotted it one time from the overpass as we were coming back from the mall. I was telling about the tiny clams on the miso soup we had last time when we were in Tokyo but have not found it here. Maybe they have different clams on different prefectures? Come to think of it they didn't have the tiny clams on their vendos too, what they do have is the lobster bisque IIRC and I didn't like it as much. 



+ Super  Bonus + 

Oh look what happened to my room. I love the stay but seriously, cold days means more pieces of clothing I need hanged which I'm clearly in short of.  


 














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)