The Hobbyt: Sembo Blocks

On our trip last time to Tagaytay, we found ourselves on a Metro grocery where we didn't expect to find these toys. Unfortunately when we came back home I didn't notice that the first set we got had an incorrect box. Which is why in the days after my supposedly 4 pc set have gone way out of proportion! I have now 4 sets total!!

I've sourced the ones I currently have from the Toy Kingdom sale and I've completed the rest of my flower shop via Lazada. Now I'm stuck with a missing gift shop from one of the sets which I unfortunately cannot find yet. Tagaytay is a pain in the ass to go to these days and I'm not so sure I would go out of my way to look for it there without any assurance that the last piece I wanted was still there.

Enough with the chatter, let's describe the experience. 


The missing gift shop :-(


Comparing with my Loz Blocks a year ago, I've noticed a few differences with both. The biggest difference is the blocks are larger and easier to remove with each other. Another shallow observation are the missing logos on the blocks themselves unlike with Lego's and Loz's. 

Like Loz, they do have stickers but are harder to attach because it adheres easily once it's removed from the white sheet it comes with. You won't get a second chance once a piece gets too close with a brick. There are a few stickers I've incorrectly attached that I could not salvage. Which is why my cheap Omega shop is not only obviously a pirated version but the logo also inverted :-(.


Next 3 are up for assembly one of these days


When I hoarded blocks at the Toy Kingdom sale I realized that there are 3 version of these, the first ones I got from Tagaytay was 2nd to the smallest (smallest ones are truly cheap; 99 PHP but based on the photo at the back it's just one floor, didn't bother with those), and the ones from TK are larger versions that came with light boxes. I've tried to open one once and it was cute!


Significantly taller than the first set I got


I did enjoy assembling these blocks but the difficulty is not the same as Loz. There were a few pieces that were challenging but not as much. The longer you've been churning out one completed shop after another gives you a good guess on what needs to be put next. Even though they are much larger, the sets aren't as detailed as hoped from the inside. The colors come different as well from the manual that I had to adjust on what piece I need to put next. Also another notable thing is how they are a bit scrimpy in excess of pieces. One time I only got 2 pieces left! 



From Lazada except the Flowershop stand which we got by mistake 

Based on what I've searched so far online, there are more of these out there. As to whether I'd get more could be seen because I'm already swimming on displays. I don't have much surface anymore to put them on. What's worse is Daiso / Japan Home doesn't have display cases that would fit my shops at all making them more susceptible to dust. I just hope I'd get to complete my set though :-(.



Prices: 199 for the mid sets, 299 for the larger ones with lights.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)