Huawei P20 Pro





I have extremely gone overboard with this purchase but does it really live up to the hype all of the countless videos I have watched? Here's what I've experienced so far.

So What's in the box?

Phone itself
Type C Cable and Charger
Adapter for non type C earphones
Earphones with Type C cable
Sim Card poke thing (no idea the proper name for that) 
Phone Case (Some videos don't have this so I was a bit worried. Thankfully the one I got have one)
Manual

Also, the phone comes with two plastics on screen, first is the the sticker you really remove and the other one you can leave off for use. I didn't realize this at first, only after I was sold a different case and screen protector. I should have checked what's in the box before I agreed in the additional purchase.


First things first


The most painful thing whenever you change phones is redownloading all apps you used to have and saying goodbye with the messages and calls you've accummulated. Granted I don't have that much important SMS anymore but I really liked to see the history of messages I had especially with banks. But as I've opened the phone, I was given an option to transfer. IT WAS SEAMLESS. This is the least effort I've exerted into moving my stuff from the old phone to this. They have an exclusive app that you can install from your old phone to which it will automatically transfer everything you have! Yes, EVERYTHING. Even the messages and phone calls get saved. Obviously logins have to be redone but it's easier than manually downloading all of the apps I had on the old phone. I was also surprised to see the last photos I had there were also moved.

Ease of Use

The UI of Huawei is fantastic. My nitpick would have to be how I need to adjust my eyes on how large the notifications would get. I hope I could get it to be much much smaller but I couldn't see any setting to do so. I also had to relearn how to clear apps from the tray when you swipe down and up that unlike in Moto where I had 
to scroll further up or down to see where the Clear All option is. Here in P20 I just need to click on the garbage icon that is always at the bottom. 

There are also a few tricks I've learnt in the few days I've acquainted with EMUI and here are some I have learned so far (will be updated if I discover some more):

1. Double clicking the down volume rocker while locked will automatically take a snapshot. This is handy when there is something you need to document at the spur of the moment. *

2. Swiping up from the edge of your phone while locked will reveal reveal a few useful icons: Play, Gallery, Recorder, Flashlight, Calculator, Timer and QR Code Scanner. This would allow anyone instant access when you just need a utility ready and no need to unlock the phone. *

3. Always Information On is really good to keep track of time, charge and date. It's simplistic and you wouldn't need to unlock just to get said details. There's also additional info when you click on the lock button, pedometer, time and date and an additional line of text you could modify. As I've done with other phones that is capable of this, I've added my email and landline in case of emergency.

4. Do not disturb in Huawei has additional option to be scheduled on specific day. Helpful to lessen distraction. 

5. Huawei have it's own cleaner (Although I still have Files Go by Google)


Battery Life

Yes, It seems there is no need for me to charge until I get home even with my usage: all day mobile data, a few games and even video streaming. I hope it stays the same until I am ready to give it up.

Speakers

Surprisingly loud and clear. For control I always check my uploaded videos on any phone I currently own and this takes the cake. 

Camera

Ok so before I give it high praises, let's take a moment and do not appreciate how the front camera sucks big time. I know I wanted clear skin but I don't want it to look liquified. Even my sister who's peppered with moles in her face have no traces of it when taken a photo of. I tried doing a portrait at the rear but who are we kidding here? Aren't we done with that kind of selfie where you have to take it multiple times from the rear and check if YOU ARE on the photo? I have already disabled beautify and yet my photos still look fake. If you are a selfie person, I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO BUY THIS PHONE. I rarely do selfies anyway so it is easier for me to overlook it. 

Sample Shots:






I am loving this phone so far and I do hope it would last me a long time. I can't wait to test it's capabilities the next time an opportunity arises.

Notes: 
Purposely no watermark / filters / editing were used on sample shots.
Night Shots to follow.
*Features are also available on other Huawei models. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)