Devious Maids



I've spent hours in Netflix for the past few weeks and I feel like I've been neglecting my Iflix subscription lately. After Family Guy expired I would like to check titles that I don't see in Netflix. I would love to get back to watching Once Upon A Time but I don't feel like diving into another long one. So I momentarily stopped watching Money Heist in favor of another light hearted comedy ala The Good Place and tried Devious Maids.

The first episode like everything else made the distinction of the characters which to love and hate. Eventually I ended up loving the characters I didn't much like before. By the end of the series, I find myself already missing a part of me that I would never have anymore: watching Evelyn and Adrian Powell together again. Another why-do-they-have-to-cancel-this-show moment.

Devious Maids has Desperate Housewives feels only with maids and lead by Latina actresses. I haven't finished DH but I remembered it going a bit dark as the series progressed while Devious Maids remained their tone all throughout the 4 seasons of being light even if we see characters, even major ones, dying.

Every season of DM starts with a murder mystery that our maid protagonists have to solve being involved in it one way or another. The entire plot is resolved each season. We also get different sub plots on every characters' lives to which by season 4 we are left with the 4 maids and their personal lives and the 3 rich people left: Evelyn, Adrian and Genevieve (not including Gail even if she pops up from time to time).

The charm of the series is how it  has included most soap opera tropes and comes out fine. They have amnesia, someone ran over by a car, extremely rich men, extremely handsome men, maid and boss love affair, secret kid, love triangles, the list is endless. Also a shout out for S4 that even though it felt rushed by the end, that mystery of why one of the mains from S1 was killed was timely to recent sexual allegations IRL in Hollywood. While it's just fictional, seeing some type of justice on screen really felt good.

I will surely miss this show even if I wasn't there when it was at it's "peak". Only a miracle could merit a 5th season and I doubt we'd be getting anymore. All I know is that even if they ended with a major cliffhanger, I am more than glad that *SPOILERS* the Powells still ended up together.

Image from screenertv.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)