The Act of Charity


I am a sucker for those who go up the bus and ask for money. I don't give to religious groups though (Except for one. Years later I still remember that guy who deemed sincere in quick gospel. I mean the bus started tinkling with coins) and rare times even to beggars on the street (Rarely to those at the overpass and never again to that one who snubbed her nose up on me DISGUSTED EVEN when I gave her good food). On some Fridays that my jeans have pockets and have bills on it I just give them to whoever (I walk home on Fridays) is asking for alms. Basically I give when they are in luck I have some to spare. And don't get me started on death related donations! I feel compelled in giving no matter how it happened. Being able to experience first hand to deal with the burial of a loved one, I know how expensive it would be.

I am not being sanctimonious or even being religious about it to be honest. It's me finding out later that I do this only because I can. If you see me on the street and ask me specifically that you need a bus fare to go home, you don't even need to tell me you were snatched and you are going to Tarlac. If I have something on me you can have it. Heck I don't even rummage through my coin purse. Get a 100 peso bill from me and I can sleep with it (just don't rob me okay). But never piss me off by pestering me while I'm buying my cashews.

Later in my life I am more able to give out alms that a simple thanks fill my heart with joy. Everytime I do it I hear Helena Bonham Carter's fairy godmother role from Cinderella:


What is a bowl of milk? Nothing, but with kindness, it is everything.

I always have that lump in the throat when I come to that scene (read: a lot of times I have favorite bits peppered throughout Cinderella). To me it also translates that this money I would be giving may not mean much to me but to the recipient it might be.

What's that 50 pesos to you anyway? Probably just a quarter of your daily allowance. Or half of your parking for 8 hours. But to the person on the receiving end? It's probably their only meal for the day. It's probably a peso less for the casket of their departed loved one. You'd never know for sure so don't bother asking. I mean what's a small bill, you get paid twice a month anyway! You're willing to buy a 5k worth of a pair of shoes what's a 100 peso bill? So what if there's a possibility that he or she is a repulsive person or a part of a syndicate? Your kindness is of your own doing regardless of what the other party is truly like (I know I am still bitter with the old lady above). So be more generous. We both know those coins would not be enough to buy anything. Make someone's day. Be like what Cinderella said:
Kindness is free. Love is Free

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)