Suicide Club (2.20.09)




Rating:★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Foreign
I rarely have the opportunity to know movies from our neighbouring countries, most of them I just heard, or read somewhere (such as in the case of Battle Royale which I read (then watched) from Time ages ago. The sequel I just learned from a classmate back in college). This one though was lent to me by an officemate who I'm beginning to think was the best source of anything (I can think of) Japanese.

Anyways, other than since this is a copy and I can forward it to scenes once it gets boring, well I could say that it didn’t trigger my powerful fingers. I was actually saying 'No Way' the entire time (good thing I was home alone) even though I knew the hell they'd still do jump (badly reminds me of ‘The Happening’ though I have no utmost right to even mention it here since I’ve only seen the trailer) or do something ridiculous (like that mom who sliced her fingers off). There were a lot of (well to me, looks like) incoherent scenes that I believe would stand without them at all but the weird factor is, as I would rank it, probably 4 or 5 out of 10. It was also more satirical in a sense that (it appeared to me as if) ‘you die to live’ or ‘dying does not mean an end to your connection with the world’ or something like that which reminds me of this novel that was mentioned in an article of rich kids eating the poor.

The platform deaths were truly engaging on the first frames and jump started the story. But I was a bit put off with the highschool jumps. I strongly believe that they were merely mock-ups of the ‘real thing’, more like the fake ‘Suicide Club Jack Sparrow-like guy’ to get your attention more rambled than it was supposed to. And the deaths, those jumps, do they really make one’s body all mushy and bloody? I’m not really sure. I do not intend to find it out myself, but that was quite exaggerated.

Sadly, no grand revelation in the end. I was hoping for something that would glue the entire thing together – well it did, but just to some extent. Like why the nurses and the mom I’ve mentioned above? The rest were mostly highschool girls you know. Plus when would they commit the suicide? What was the turning point? Was is it subliminally hidden somewhere on Dessert/Desert/Dessret’s songs? (Is ‘subliminal-LY really a word?’) And the name of that group too. Does it mean something other than food? Hmm. Questions that were probably answered but I wasn’t able to grasp.

Songs were catchy, (‘Mail Me’ is still my LSS), blood was everywhere and the anticipation was there. But it wasn’t supposed to scare, or gross you out (even with all the blood and decimated parts that looked more like bombed than from a tall building). It wasn’t even heart-thumping. But it was still a good one for me. It probably not have met my expectations (I was truly excited when my officemate said it was weird) which was a bit higher since this is a Japanese film but it hit the spot just right. Next!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T&J Weds: Getting a License at the Mandaluyong City Hall during the Pandemic (2021)

TME: Getting your NBI Clearance Easy

SNAP: BPI E-Prepaid Credit Card (12.23.11)